How to Find a Surrogate: Surrogate Agency vs. Independent Surrogate
Finding the right surrogate is one of the biggest decisions prospective parents can make throughout the surrogacy process. For male couples entering the family building phase of their relationship, choosing a surrogate is an essential first step.
Wondering how to find a surrogate? There are two options: use a surrogate agency or find an independent surrogate. Weighing the positives and negatives of each is an essential part of this decision-making process.
Here at Heartland Center for Reproductive Medicine in Omaha, NE, our team of licensed professionals offers family building services for gay men preparing to start their family.
Finding a Surrogate with an Agency
If you do not know a potential surrogate, you may opt to employ a surrogate agency. A surrogate agency can help you find and locate potential surrogates that have already been approved and screened to carry surrogate pregnancies to term.
Benefits of Using an Agency
- Extensive Screening Procedures: Potential surrogate prospects are extensively screened and background checked by agencies to ensure the safety of all participants.
- Matching Services: The majority of agencies maintain up-to-date databases to find the best match between prospective parents and surrogates based on the individual needs of the parties.
- Support Services and Education: Agencies, like our Omaha reproductive center, provide ample support services and educational material before, during, and after the procedure to aid future parents in the family building process.
Challenges of Using an Agency
- Costs: The costs associated with an agency’s surrogacy fees may be higher than finding an independent surrogate.
- Mediated Contact: Agencies mediate interactions between possible matches, making the approach less firsthand than choosing your own independent surrogate.
- Choice of Agency: Not all surrogate agencies are equal. It is essential to research potential agencies extensively prior to deciding on one to ensure the right match.
Finding a Surrogate Independently
A lot of couples opt to work with independent surrogates rather than an agency. The surrogate may be a family member, friend, or found through an independent arrangement, such as medical ads.
Benefits of Independent Surrogacy
- Costs: Agency fees will not be required for independent surrogacy, thereby lowering the overall costs.
- Personalized Contact: There is a greater opportunity to directly interact with the surrogate during independent arrangements.
- Straightforward Process: Often, the only professionals needed to become a parent through independent surrogacy are a medical professional and a legal professional.
Challenges of Independent Surrogacy
- No Screening Requirement: While you can do a background check on your own, there is no official screening procedure in place for independent surrogacy.
- Difficulty Maintaining Privacy: It may be challenging to keep your private information secure while responding to and meeting potential surrogates independently.
- Lack of Support Services: Support groups exist for independent surrogacy, however, they do not come with as much professional support or educational resources as an agency would.
Schedule an Appointment Today
Whether you choose a surrogate agency or an independent surrogate, our team at Heartland Center for Reproductive Health in Omaha is ready to assist you in your family building process with kindness, courtesy, and compassion. To learn more, call (402) 717-4200 or use our online form to request an appointment today.